Name:
Location: Ogden, Utah, United States

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The date is quickly approaching...

Only 2 1/2 weeks until we leave for Ghana. This evening I am holding a meeting with all members of the group to discuss the details of our trip. We are preparing to lecture on several subjects including:
  • Adult and Infant CPR
  • Infection Control and Prevention
  • Neonatal Resuscitation
  • Adult and Infant Mechanical Ventilation
I have been so pleased with the willingness of my students to dedicate their time and energy, not to mention their finances, to this great opportunity. Not only have they spent countless hours planning for this trip, but they did it while completing their Spring Semester classwork and successfully passing their final exams. They have more than earned my respect and admiration.

Part of our time will be spent providing free health care and assessments to the people of Ghana. As I researched health care in Ghana, I read quite often that people have a very difficult time paying for visits to the doctor. The majority of their hospitals are set up as a 'cash and carry' type of system. This means that the patients must pay in full for their health care before they are allowed to leave the hospital. Quite often an armed guard is positioned at the door. I read of one incidence where a woman had gone to the hospital to have her baby. Two months later she was still being kept there because of her inability to pay. This astonished me considering her new born baby had died at 4 weeks earlier.

We hope to offer free care to patients that would otherwise not be able to afford a visit to the hospital for care.

One hospital we will visit is St. Patrick's Hospital in Maase, Ghana. In my correspondence with their director, he has shared his gratitude that we will be providing much needed education within his hospital. Since his hospital is a non-profit hospital, they rarely turn patients away for inability to pay. Our free services will help many people in his village. When we arrive, I would also like to make a cash contribution to St. Patrick's hospital that may allow them to continue their charitable care of patients.

If you are interested in supporting this effort or the members of our group, please feel free to contact me via my e-mail address (ltrujillo@weber.edu). Although we are but a few, I believe we can make a difference.

Thank you in advance for your kindness and generosity!!

Lisa


1 Comments:

Blogger Pjamms said...

Very well put.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home